Re: what are the restrictions on bootable partitions?

On Thu, 2004-04-29 at 08:15, Robert P. J. Day wrote:
>   what are the restrictions on where i can install another linux distro
> onto my fedora core (actually, FC2-t3) system so that grub can find it?
> (even though this is a test version of fedora, this question actually
> refers to FC distros in general.)
>
>   typically, for historical reasons, even when i use LVM, i create a small
> primary, ext3 filesystem for /boot, and use LVM for the rest of the drive.
> is there any compelling reason for doing this anymore?  what's the
> recommended strategy for LVM?  and need for a non-LVM filesystem on newer
> machines?
>
>   and, on top of all this, i want to add at least one other distro to the
> system; in this case, xandros 2.0, for evaluation for a client.  can i add
> this additional distro entirely within LVM and have grub still find it
> properly?  i suspect yes, but i wanted to make sure before i spent all
> that installing.  thanks.
>
> rday

The LVM BIOS negates the need for using the 'lower 1024'. I still do for
a few basic reasons including that this is usually (the inner cylinders)
where the most physical wear occurs because;

1) the resting cylinder is the innermost -- most wear debris here.
2) surface speed is the slowest, meaning less air gap

Having the kernel here this area is then, typically, only accessed once
every boot, lessening wear.
--
jludwig <wralphie@xxxxxxxxxxx>