Re: First experiences with Fedora Core 2 Test 3

On Thu, 2004-04-29 at 11:40, Chris wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I have downloaded and installed FC2/T3 on my Acer TravelMate today.
> The initial install went fine - no problems there.
> After rebooting, the machine hung at kudzu (detecting new hardware).
> I disabled that and rebooted, this time it hung at activating eth0 - I
> had given it a fixed IP address, no reason to hang.
> Then I disabled networks from staring up, it hung at pcmcia
> Disabled that, it hung at cups
> Disabled that and it eventually booted.
> But it had no X configuration, so it asked - told it what it is and it
> let me log in to GNOME. But it hung, after the FC2 banner shows up in
> the middle of the screen.
> Switched to initlevel 3 and back to 5, logged into KDE. That worked ok
> but with no network, I feel kinda crippled.
> There is also a dump when it tries to initialize the USB controller,
> 'Unable to handle kernel paging request' is the message.
>
> If anybody out there needs more info to fix these issues, I'd be more
> than happy to provide what I can.
>
> And no, these are not newbe problems, I'm running Linux since Kernel
> version 0.9x ;-).
>
> Best regards,
> Chris
>
> --
> Chris Ruprecht
> Network Grunt and Bit Pusher extraordinaíre

That all sounds very ACPI or IOAPIC to me, try disabling them at boot
with pci=noacpi{,usepirqmask} acpi=off or noapic. Any combination may
help. My laptop, for instance, requires pci=noacpi to make the via-rhine
network work, and usepirqmask along with a kernel patch to make pcmcia
work. Once you get the machine booting reliably, then go after X. Good
luck.

--
Chris Kloiber