Re: Langa bashing (was Re: Problems getting Linux into homes)

John Lagrue schrieb:

The "not having a clue" seems to be on the part of those who can't see straight. Fred's whole article is about the lack of ease of installing Linux with any hardware. Hiss whole thrust is that all varieties of Windows works with his hardware, whereas Linux doesn't. Of course that is because lack of drivers provided by the hardware manufacturers, but that is beside the point. The whole point being that Linux is still not entirely ready for the home market, when compared to Micro$oft's installations.

What we do about that is another discussion.

John

Actually for a lot of hardware Linux works far better than Windows. Mainly because of the way drivers are designed for generic chipsets rather than for specific products. When I popped out my 3Com PCMCIA card and popped in another brand, Linux automatically loaded the right driver and applied my eth0 settings, and amazingly the SSH session I had open to another machine was still active!

It took me a week of downloads and reboots to get the same card running under windows 2000 on the same machine.

New video cards seem to be the only hardware I have driver trouble with under Linux now!