Re: Langa bashing (was Re: Problems getting Linux into homes)

Craig Thomas wrote:
On Fri, 2004-04-23 at 18:46, Jeff Allison wrote:

but he offers no
explanations, solutions, or information other than a wild installation
odyssey.

As far as I can see he either has another agenda or he doesn't "know his
stuff"

Ditto.

I think its plain to see, from the fact [most] companies selling
hardware DO NOT open source their drivers, his argument is a non
starter. How is it the fault of Linux that [limited] hardware fails
to function on anything but Microsoft brand OSes? To moan publicly about
the ease of installation of a piece of hardware under Unix, when the
company selling the damn thing fails to release a driver that is
compatible with ANYTHING other than Windows doesn't strike me as the
position of someone ' knowing his stuff ' . Rather, like some one who
doesn't have a clue.

The "not having a clue" seems to be on the part of those who can't see straight. Fred's whole article is about the lack of ease of installing Linux with any hardware. Hiss whole thrust is that all varieties of Windows works with his hardware, whereas Linux doesn't. Of course that is because lack of drivers provided by the hardware manufacturers, but that is beside the point. The whole point being that Linux is still not entirely ready for the home market, when compared to Micro$oft's installations.

What we do about that is another discussion.

John