Re: Huge Partition

Rodolfo J. Paiz wrote:

At 16:17 4/21/2004, you wrote:

Creating the partition with fdisk seems to have improved things. The df
utility now reports 1.8T for the partition, the 0.2T being used up in
overhead. That's more like it!

200GB in overhead? That's about 10%. Why so high?

Root normally reserves space on a partition to prevent the disk filling up totally and crashing the system, but that's normally just 5%, so where's the other 5% (100GB) going? You can check how much space is "reserved" for root with:

Since physical disk size is specified as 1000 K == 1 G the reported filesystem size is less.
In fact 1000/1024 is the factor for every 10e3 factor of disk size. In the case of a 2T range it is a factor of (1000/1024)e3 or about 0.931322575 * 2T. When rounded to a single decimal this gives a filesystem of ~1.8T

With this in mind, how do you figure such a large space consumption for overhead? I interpret that as minimal and normal overhead -- formating factors, etc.

In fact, on my 30G physical drive as a single partition it reports a filesystem size of 27.94G (a loss of ~7% due to the differences in the way it is stated + overhead)

# tune2fs -m /dev/hda1

You can also adjust it to 2% instead of 5% (since your filesystem is so large) via:

# tune2fs -m 2 /dev/hda1

See the man page for more details or if I've made any mistakes.