Re: DSL Tweaking

On Sun, Apr 18, 2004 at 05:24:31AM -0700, edwarner99@xxxxxxxxx wrote:

> I know that Linux if pretty efficient at optimizing
> DSL connections and speed, but was wondering if there
> are any "tweaks" to be aware of to speed up downloads?

Linux will see the DSL connection the same way it
sees any network connection.

The important thing with DSL is the DLS modem's firmware.
Go the the manufacturers site and look for updates.

Some modems have trouble with Fast Connections.  There is some
interesting info on the BitTorrent web sites about this.

mii-tool can help you try different modes for your etherlink.  For
example some modems go limp if you connect at 100BaseT full duplex.
Since 10BaseT is faster than DSL some modems play better with 10BaseT
links.  etc...

The first place to look is your hardware vendors site.
Send them a letter if they have no info about Linux.

Your ISP likely be worthless if you use the "L" word so don't.

--
	T o m  M i t c h e l l