Re: nvidia driver works w/ new kernel and inittab 3, but not 5

Clint wrote:
I've upgraded to the new kernel. Then I set the run level to 3 to run the nvidia scripts to build a custom-run package (use the alternate instructions found at artoo). Everything appears to install just fine. I make sure load "dri" is commented out of /etc/X11/XF86Config and I double-check that the driver is "nvidia" and not "nv".

I type startx at the prompt and the nvidia splash screen comes up, and I'm in gnome working right along using the new driver. So I reset the run level to 5 and reboot. While X starts just fine, I don't see the nvidia splash screen and none of the GL packages work.

What's the problem here?

The current nvidia driver runs fine with the new kernel, as long as I don't use run level 5.

Clint

I've got some additional information that may be helpful. During the boot, the following message appears:

nvidia.o module for 2.4.22-1.2179.nptl not found
Disabling nvidia driver

That certainly explains what's going on, but how do I solve it?

Thanks,
Clint

--
Clint Harshaw  <clint@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>