Re: FC1 2.6 kernel, cannot mount NTFS?

[root@localhost root]# mount -t ntfs /dev/hda1
/windows
mount: cannot mount block device /dev/hda1

read-only

This is perfectly normal, ntfs is supported as
read-only.
If you try to write to an ntfs partition from
another filesystem, you do this at your own risks.
HTH
Thierry

I don't understand how this tells me why I can't mount.

Try feeding the mount command the read only option to explicitly mount the partition read only. From memory it's "mount -o ro" or "mount -r" but I'd check the man page first. I can never remember the options and get my options between different platforms mixed up all the time.