Re: French/Spanish/German accents in Fedora with US Keyboard

At 20:36 4/12/2004, you wrote:
           Does anybody know how to configure Fedora Linux such that I can
compose mails (pine) or documents and inserting French/Spanish/German
accents? Right now when I try to paste somme accents in my Eterm/xterm, it
gives me some junk!

How do I insert the accents?

Btw I have a US keyboard so please don't tell me to configure for other
keyboards! Thanks.

Easy as pie. Set up your keyboard as type "us" with layout "us-acentos". In the graphical world, this is called "enabling dead keys." Done.

Those keys which represent accents like ' and " and ` and ~ and ^ will now be "dead keys." This means that nothing will happen if you press them once... the system will wait to see what key you press next. If you then press an "a" for example, you will get á or à or ä or â. Pressing ~ then n will get you ñ. The German umlaut (sp?) is achieved with the double-quote dead key, then the vowel.

In order to output the bare symbols like ' and " and ~, you press the dead key and then a space. Seems cumbersome at first, but get a little practice and your fingers will learn the moves very quickly. Works like a charm, and is the reason why I refuse to accept a computer with *any* layout other than US... configuring any other "international" keyboard is a bitch since you never know what kind it's supposed to be, and making it work becomes a lengthy, painful process of trial and error.

Cheers,

-- Rodolfo J. Paiz rpaiz@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx http://www.simpaticus.com