Re: Random Network Droping, advice needed

On 03/17/2004 02:08 PM, Jim Radford wrote:

On Wednesday 17 Mar 2004 6:58 pm, Jim Radford wrote:

Well, I solved this problem today. I turns out one of the other machines on
my work network had decided to start DHCP'ing for it's IP after a recent
power-cut the office suffered. It was stealing my IP :(

Thinking about this - why did nothing appear in messages to show it was losing it's IP?

Does it get logged somewhere else?

Your computer probably doesn't think it has lost its address when this happens. You have a lease from DHCP that your computer believes is still current, so your computer continues to act as if it uniquely bears that address until the lease expires and it tries to renew it.