Numlock key going AWOL on me

For some reason lately my numlock key (and consequently my 10 key pad)
has been going AWOL on me. Meaning it just stops working completely. The
numlock key. Is this likely hardware related, or is there some way this
could be related to software? I know it sounds like a stupid question,
but the only reason I ask it is because I did a reboot of my machine and
it worked again for a while. So that's what makes me doubt that it's
hardware-related. Weird. Anyway, any ideas? And any idea if I can
"reset" the keyboard driver without rebooting?

Preston