Re: Random Network Droping, advice needed

Jim Radford wrote:

On Tuesday 16 Mar 2004 8:07 pm, jludwig wrote:

I had trouble with my old ISP, -- they won't admit to anything.
I have done failure analysis of network systems for a 'gov.'
group using linux for 5 years and never saw this sort of problem.
Suspect your ISP first is my advice, esp. if you can still see anything
else.

(un)Fortunately, I work for my ISP. So I've had the switches checked out that are the first couple of hops after my router.

Plus if it was an ISP problem, then there would be more than just me with this issue and I know there isn't.

NOT (necessarily) TRUE.
There is a segment of their cabling/equipment that is dedicated to you and your location and a problem there would affect only you. It may be the carrier and not the ISP that is at fault here.

When I worked for one ISP we had one single location where our ISDN connection was very unstable. We had 6 ISDN lines here and one was unstable. Swapping hardware that worked proved the hardware was not at fault. The telco claimed they had no problems, but the instability continued. I was finally able to get them to put a sniffer on the line and they found they had a problem with the cable routing/length/loading that they then fixed and the problem was solved.

Thanks though.