Re: Different XF86Config for different user

Peter Eddy wrote:

Robin Laing wrote:

My daughter uses our computer for games and such thus uses ctrl+alt+(num+) to change the resolution to suit her needs and my wife likes a different resolution than my daughter. In both cases, the total screen isn't shown on the monitor, just part of it and message dialog boxes can be missed.

You can specify "novirtual" in XF86Config to get rid of that silly virtual desktop. Then I think X will behave as you'd expect, the boundary of your desktop at all modes is then the same as your monitor.

Some WWW sites don't work to well at higher resolutions.

If it's the size of the text that's a problem and you're using mozilla, you can just type Ctrl +/Ctrl - to make the text larger or smaller. It doesn't seem like changing the screen resolution out to be necessary to view a web page.

Peter

If you use gnome then go to the Main Menu (on task bar) | Preferences | Display Resolution to set a different resolution it does not have the virtual desktop issue, and I believe that is a per-user setting change since it gets saved in ~/.gconfd/saved_state

Chris

  Chris Johnson, RHCE #807000448202021