Recommedations

I am currently running on windows XP pro and it's getting to the point of I blaming Windows (Microsoft) for all of the problems that i have been having. I would like to try another OS but It cant be too advanced.

I am a newbie in Linux so maybe you guys can help.

What do you recommand me on downloading that is 1 step ahead of windows.

thanks

Brittany