Re: update issues

Richard Welty wrote:
On Mon, 19 Jan 2004 09:26:52 +1000 Michael Kearey <mutk@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

I have been using yum over up2date lately. It justs seems better to me...(Read the FAQ some more, you will find out how to settup yum there)

i'm trying yum right now, it seems ok. two things:

1) i haven't yet found a FAQ entry on yum, what FAQ should i be looking
at. the FAQ on the redhat.com fedora site is pretty slim. if it's in the faq
on the fedora.us site, i've not found it yet.
Here it is http://fedora.artoo.net/faq/#FedoraYumRepos - the same site that hosts the GPG signature solution.

2) how does yum handle postgresql updates? updating postgresql on major releases (say, 7.3->7.4) is a manual process, i don't want anything automated breaking DB installations in the early hours of the morning. is there a way to tell it not to update certain software?

I would expect the postgreSQL packagers to be completely aware of major version upgrades and the related cautions. I don't know exactly how they would handle it, but I am sure it won't be a problem.

'man yum.conf' tells you how to exclude packages from yum update anyway:

" _exclude_
List of packages to exclude from updates or installs. This should be a space separated list. Filename globs *,?,., etc are allowed. "

You can do similar things with up2date.

Cheers, Michael