Re: Enabling Journaling

Steve Hanson wrote:
Douglas C. Robinson wrote:

I am attempting to enable journaling on my Fedora system.  I have seen
in the "man mount" page that I must set the option in mount to
"data=journal".  Where do I enter this switch?  I have placed the
option in the /etc/fstab file in various places.  This generates many
error messages at re-boot.  There is probably a simple solution but
this eludes me.

If you are using a "generic" install of Fedora Core - that is, if you didn't actually do something to
change to a non-ext3 file system, you're already using journaling on an ext3 file system.

Journaling options are set in the /etc/fstab file, in the file system options column. If you really need to set a non-default mode of journaling (like for some reason you want to use the data=journal option rather than the default data=ordered) you'd need to change the entry for that file system to be something like this:

/dev/sdd1 /var/lib/imap/user ext3 data=journal 1 3

That is, you'd probably end up replacing the defaults entry with data=journal

But make sure you understand the implications of changing the journaling option.

Also it's much harder to change the journal option for /. You will need to edit your fstab, and recreate your initrd. "mkinitrd"

PS- If you need to ask how to change to the journal mode vs the default ext3 journaling mode (ordered mode). You shouldn't be messing with it. Journal mode is really really slow for nearly everything, but a few weird corner cases.
--
Unless you can't avoid it never put a
serial number on any of your systems!!