Re: Non FOSS and Fedora

On or about 2004-01-13 03:50, Colin Charles whipped out a trusty #2 pencil and scribbled:

On Mon, 2004-01-12 at 21:35, Adam Kosmin wrote:

I'll spell it out for you. By allowing this documentation to exist on
fedoranews.org, readers are basically being told "It's ok to use and
install non-FOSS software on your computer. In fact, we'll even show you
how!".

Perhaps I'm just a bit dense, but I would think all of us have the right to install whatever software we wish on our *personal* computers, whether it's FOSS, non-FOSS, or dental FLOSS, it's our decision. (The question of whether the software was obtained legally or not is an *entirely* different question, although it might be an important question.) Secondly, since this is an individual right, and since people probably have varying opinions on the details of this, I don't think trying to convince others to think the same way you think is apropriate in a *technical* help mailing list. There are plenty of *-advocacy lists, probably one for FOSS.

So if someone asks how to obtain/install an mp3 codec for mplayer, that's a technical question that should get a technical answer. An additional note that in some jurisdictions, a royalty is due to patent holders is OK, but a sermon on FOSS is not on topic for this list, IMHO.

Sorry to be so blunt, but if it's a pig, you just have to call it a pig. :-)

--
Fritz Whittington
Force without wisdom falls of its own weight. (Horace, Odes)