Re: saslauthd not working

David C. Hart wrote:
On Sat, 2004-01-10 at 14:13, Denis Ford wrote:
I've got a fresh installation of Fedora Core 1, with all packages updated
from the dulug mirror. I'm trying to get SASL/Pam authentication set up for
Postfix, according to the README in the postfix docs
(/usr/share/doc/postfix-2.0.11/README-Postfix-SASL-RedHat.txt) . I've gone
through all the steps, but it appears that saslauthd isn't working right:

Forget the RPM. Get the latest source from Wietse's site and read the SASL README. You need to compile it in.

I have it working only after recitations from the Upanishads, the Talmud
and Martha Stewart's biography. "Eye of newt . . . "

The above poster exaggerates, postfix and sasl-auth appear to work just fine using the out-of-the-box RPMs.

Your problem, it appears, rests with saslauthd rather than postfix proper (since even the test authentication fails).

Where is your test user's authentication information stored? (local account? LDAP? NIS?) Can that user login on the system? Can they su?