Re: Non FOSS and Fedora

At 03:51 1/12/2004, you wrote:
I couldn't help but notice Thomas Chung's tutorials up on fedoranews.org
which describe how to install Acrobat Reader, Helix, and Macromedia
Flash.

In light of The Fedora Project's #2 objective being "Build the operating
system exclusively from open source software.", I must pose this
question to the list:

Is it appropriate to encourage people to install non-FOSS software on
Fedora?

Yes. Unqualified yes, with no limitations whatsoever. Fedora is a Free operating system, and it is appropriate for anyone to recommend any software to any user, so long as that software suits the user's needs and is licensed in a manner acceptable to that user.

It would /not/ be appropriate, given Objective #2, to attempt to bundle such software /with/ Fedora or to make it a part of the Fedora Project. But if such software is out there, and one or more users need it, and those users have chosen it over equivalent FOSS solutions or those solutions do not yet exist, then by helping the user install it what we have gained is another happy Fedora user. That's the user's right to freedom of choice, and one more convert for Fedora... win-win for all involved.

Simple.

-- Rodolfo J. Paiz rpaiz@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx http://www.simpaticus.com