Re: Thoughts on FC and the future..

WipeOut wrote:

Patrick W. Fraley wrote:

Hey on your Listing your forgot one major option:

5) Switch to another distribution ;)

This is also a problem..

Suse don't distribute ISO's which is frikken irritating when testing and breaking, the enterprise versions are more expensive than RHEL.. In fact its almost cheaper to buy MS products for web servers and the like bacasue it would probably be cheaper then RHEL or Suse enterprise.. Although out of pricipal I will not use any MS products but many would..

Mandrake is just not cutting it IMO.. especially as a server..

Debian is outdated and a nightmare to install..

Slackware and Gentoo are to difficult to effectively maintain for most of us since they are based on source packages..

Which really just leaves the smaller distros the best of which looks to be Trustix, which I am currently playing with for my new system..

Later..

I sat through a presentation with Novell and IBM back in November where I tabled the issue of SuSE not having ISOs available. They said that they would be making ISOs available in the future but wouldn't say when. I guess we have to wait for the Novell acquisition of SuSE to complete before I ask them again.

Can someone tell me what the difference is between SuSE Linux Professional 9.0 and SuSE or Red Hat Enterprise versions? I built a server with FC1 when it was released but changed to SuSE because of initial problems with FC1. SuSE Pro 9 cost $ 90 at the local Best Buy and included 5 CDs and a dual sided DVD.