Re: up2date is *horrid*

Pedro Fernandes Macedo wrote:

Timothy Murphy wrote:

On Thursday 08 January 2004 05:57, Philip Wyett wrote:

I understand what he wants.. Maybe a drop-down list in the configuration part of up2date... Then it would save your choices in the /etc/sysconfig/rhn/sources.. Just a GUI to make things easier to new users.... And you wouldnt need to chose the mirror every time...

Pedro Macedo

Why not look at a way of autoselecting a mirror by testing speed of the connection or by using 'traceroute' to find the closest mirror. The mirror list could be part of a configuration file setup during installation and updates. If the software is smart enough, if a server hangs or slows down, then it could change to a different server.

This method would not require user interaction and improve the usablility of the whole process.

I am new to Fedora and I havn't tried the up2date yet as one machine is new and I have to ensure that it is ready for productive work tomorrow and the other machine died while doing a kernel upgrade (hardware, not fedora).