Re: [Fwd: Re: DNS configuration Tool]

At 04:26 1/2/2004, you wrote:

Huh? Clients are configured to use one or more DNS servers. They will ask any of those servers for an answer, in any order. So what you ask for cannot be done. What you probably want is for 2.5 to resolve all queries for 0.0 as well, and use the "forward first;" and "forwarders { ip.of.isp.dns; };" directives in BIND to take advantage of the ISP's DNS cache.

In any order - is this true? Wont it try primary first and then if no response, try secondary etc ??

Ade,

If you feel like reading through DocBook XML, take a look at this:

http://www.simpaticus.com/linux/howto/xml/DNS-First-Steps.xml

This is still a DRAFT, so I suggest you do not bookmark it yet. I'm having some trouble with my formatting tools which is why I don't have it in HTML yet; that will probably take another day or two, and then I'll get it properly moved into the http://www.simpaticus.com/linux section of my website. I'll also keep making some improvements to it.

But at least it's there now if that helps you. It's very much a beginner document (no clue required), and does nothing but describe some of the concepts, terms, and basics such that a conversation about DNS, and the documentation for BIND or any other DNS server software, will make more sense.

Cheers,

-- Rodolfo J. Paiz rpaiz@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx http://www.simpaticus.com