Re: Proper ettiquette for posting messages

On Friday 02 January 2004 02:08 pm, adunn@xxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> [...]

Nope, we have no idea who you're replying to, since you've cut out the
poster information.

> Yes, I'm aware that Outlook does not support
> threads, but, in my case, it's the only thing available to me at
> work.  And that was my whole point from the beginning...that some of
> us can only use what we have available.

But this is the worst case; the fact that your client doesn't suppor
threads is what makes your posts and replies hard enough to follow that
most of us won't bother.

I believe it makes archives less usable as well, but the important thing
to you should be your results.

Responders will NOT take the time to find the thread they're responding
to, so you won't get as much in the way of useful replies.

> It's much like the discussion from a while back over HTML...some
> people use non-HTML compliant readers, either by choice or by
> necessity. Nobody got in a snit and told them to upgrade to a better
> mail reader that supported HTML.

In fact I'd hope that everyone would point out that html email has no
place at all on mailing lists; it totally screws up archives, digests,
and some replies.

> So what's so hard about doing that in this situation?  Is it because
> it's a Microsoft product?

Not to me.  In fact I wouldn't have responded at all if you didn't keep
pushing the issue into our faces.

> Would we be hearing the same sort of
> complaints about Evolution because it positions the cursor at the top
> of the message in replies, or that it can send HTML mail if it didn't
> run on Linux?

I don't use Evolution specifically because it's designed to be
compatible to software that's incompatible with standards.

> The fact is that there is no "standard" way to format
> an email message

Ah but there is.

> and some of us don't have access to mail clients
> that are in accord with email "custom".  It's not the end of the
> world and it won't cause that much trouble to any of us.

At no point did I say you won't cause me trouble.  You may find that you
won't get as many responses, or as good responses, as if you used a
list-compatible client.

Some of us spend hours learning stuff so we can answer, and then
additional hours answering people.  Make it hard for us to answer, and
we won't.

> That's my two cents' worth.

And that's mine <smile>.

All flames offlist please.  Onlist flames hapilly and totally ignored
<smile>.

Jeff
--
Jeff Lasman, nobaloney.net, P. O. Box 52672, Riverside, CA  92517 US
Professional Internet Services & Support / Consulting / Colocation