Linux on XScale 270

Typing "Linux XScale 270 or 27x" brings you a lot of pages but not an
in depth doc/HOWTO how to compile your own kernel and make a boot
image for that arch. The vendor from which I get the XScale sponsored
has ready to use Linux images and source on his webpage, but they're
kinda old and dusty.
http://www.toradex.ch/colibri_downloads/Linux/

So what are the steps I've to take, to get a Linux Kernel on a XScale?
It's obvious that I need a cross compiler for ARM, bootloader images
and so on, but it's the gory details I'm curios about.

Links to HOWTOs, documentation highly appreciated. And probably
there's also a better suited maillist than LKML for this, to a
pointer to that (if existing) would be nice, too.

Thanks in advance

Wolfgang