Re: Versioning file system

Jeffrey V. Merkey wrote:

The trick in the NetWare 3 model was to segregate the directory entries onto special reserved 4K directory blocks (128 byte dir records). When it came time to purge storage after the file system filled, an entire 4K block and all chains was deleted during block allocation for new files. The dir blocks were ordered by date -- oldest ones got purged first. The model worked very well until compression was added to the filesystem, then it started getting complex.

I would be willing to help instrument the NetWare 3 model in this proposal on ext3, since this is a basic versioning model and would provide coverage for 99% of the folks needing this capability. I am available for questions.

Jeff

I resigned as Chief Scientist of Solera Networks May 8 this year -- mostly because I was not allowed to have any freedom, including working on free Linux projects. This went on for almost 4 years (since 2003). Now that I am independent again, I can work on stuff like this again. I started a new company with John Noorda (Ray Noorda's oldest son) who runs Canopy now. That's my current status. I am an owner and entrepeneur again. So I have a lot of free time and will from now on.

Jeff