Re: Versioning file system

Jeffrey V. Merkey wrote:

This already exists -- it just not open sourced, and you could spend years trying to create it. Trust me, once you start dealing with the distributed issues with this, its gets very complex. I am not meaning to discourage you, but there are patents already filed on this on Linux. So you need to consider these as well, and there are several folks who are already doing this or have done it. If it goes into Microsoft endorsed cross licensed Linuxes It may be ok (Vertias sold this capability to Microsoft already, about 12 patents there to worry over). There's also another patent filed as well. It's a noble effort to do a free version, but be aware there's some big guns with patents out there already, not to mention doing this is complex beyond belief.
Anyway good luck.  ~~~~

I reviewed your sample implementation, and it appears to infringe 3 patents already. You should do some research on this. ~~~~