Re: all syscalls initially taking 4usec on a P4? Re: nonblocking UDPv4 recvfrom() taking 4usec @ 3GHz?

On Tue, Feb 20, 2007 at 08:33:20PM +0100, bert hubert wrote:
> I'm investigating this further for other system calls. It might be that my
> measurements are off, but it appears even a slight delay between calls
> incurs a large penalty.

Make sure your system is idle.  Userspace bloat means that *lots* of idle
activity occurs in between timer ticks on recent distributions -- all those
widgets polling the hardware to see if something changed or needs updating
do a lot of damage to the caches.  Try comparing a run under init=/bin/bash
with one while logged in to a desktop environment to see just how painful it
is.

		-ben
--
"Time is of no importance, Mr. President, only life is important."
Don't Email: <[email protected]>.