Re: [patch 1/1] PM: Adds remount fs ro at suspend

On Wed, 07 Feb 2007, Nigel Cunningham wrote:
> > We don't cope okay with the power going out, at all.  And as an user case, a
> > need for fsck if you do something that is a reasonable use case (unplugging
> > devices while suspended) is not okay, either.
>
> Maybe it depends on the filesystem you use. I've used ext3 for 6 or so
> years of development on Suspend2, and it's never given me a single
> problem, despite the fact that I've sometimes done the equivalent of
> pulling the plug without a sync or unmount. I did try XFS at one stage.
> It's performance was better, but it did give problems. Nevertheless, I'm
> more than happy to make the above claim about ext3.

XFS comes to mind, indeed. But as I said, a need for fsck and unclean
partitions are enough to label it as an "unsuitable" solution.

> > > Likewise with changes in hardware. Once hotplugging support is mature,
> > > suspending, switching around hardware and resuming should just result in
> > > hot[un]plug events.
> >
> > Well, if we add *move* events for when someone unplugs a usb stick in one
> > port and replugs it in another while the system is in lala-land... maybe :-)
> > It would be normal to do it, when dealing with docks.
>
> Isn't that part of the point to having those uuid thingys? I hate them
> at the moment (from the point of view of suspend code), but hopefully
> they'll end up being nicer to deal with.

When you have files open for writing (thus neither mount R/O or umount will
suceed)?   No, you really need kernel support for this, and yes, I imagine
it is a royal pain to deal with these cases, they clearly belong on the "20%
of stuff that causes 80% of the work" side :-)

  Henrique Holschuh