Re: [Ksummit-2007-discuss] Re: [Ksummit-2006-discuss] 2007 Linux Kernel Summit

On Tue, 2007-01-30 at 22:24 +0100, Jes Sorensen wrote:
> James Bottomley wrote:
> > On Tue, 2007-01-30 at 08:16 +0100, Jes Sorensen wrote:
> >> I don't have an issue with the fact there are sponsors, however I think
> >> KS is important enough and sponsors are aware of this, that selling
> >> seats to sponsors shouldn't be necessary.
> >
> > So SGI will undertake to step up and sponsor KS this year without a
> > guaranteed slot?
>
> I didn't realize that all your postings to this list were the official
> views of Steeleye?

That would make two of us then.

> I can't say what SGI will do on this, I'm an engineer not a manager,
> I can however suggest to them that they do. As Willy said, if it was
> an even playing field it would probably be a lot more likely they would,
> compared to how it is today.

OK, but what I'm trying to get across is that saying "get rid of the
sponsored places" isn't really useful without a suggestion of how to
raise the necessary cash.  Saying "I talked to SGI and they'd be willing
to forgo their sponsored attendees if everyone else did" might get us
somewhere...

James