Re: Free Linux Driver Development!

Roland Dreier wrote:
To me, it's clear that historically the community hasn't delivered on

How is that clear? As noted in the specific examples I provided, that is how a large number of popular drivers and subsystems have been developed.

this.  So I don't like promising something that we haven't been able
to follow through on in the past.  If a vendor takes Greg's offer, and

It's a good thing we've delivered on this, throughout Linux's history, then.

then the community, for whatever reason, fails to deliver on
everything, then that makes us all (including me!) look bad just
because of Greg's hyperbolic promises.

The only difference between Greg's offer and offers made by other developers to vendors is that his was public on LKML, and the subject line concluded with an exclamation point.

I tell hardware vendors the same thing all the time -- just get the specs to me or another capable developer, and we'll work with you to get Linux support going.

So far, we have ATA, USB, ethernet, audio, and several other positive examples of this working in the real world. And your counter-examples? Ancient ISA drivers.

	Jeff