Re: SATA exceptions with 2.6.20-rc5

On Tuesday 16 January 2007 00:34, Robert Hancock wrote:
> I'll try your stress test when I get a chance, but I doubt I'll run into
> the same problem and I haven't seen any similar reports. Perhaps it's
> some kind of wierd timing issue or incompatibility between the
> controller and that drive when running in ADMA mode? I seem to remember
> various reports of issues with certain Maxtor drives and some nForce
> SATA controllers under Windows at least..

I have exactly the same problem on -rc5 and it causes all I/O to stall
periodically if I do _anything_ I/O intensive.

On my box, I have 4 sata_nv handled SATA ports, with two pairs of different
drives (two Maxtor, two WD) and it happens randomly on both. So it's
absolutely nothing to do with the drive make/model.

I'll try Jeff's suggestion of disabling ADMA now, but I think something more
radical than this workaround should make it into 2.6.20 final, otherwise a
lot of people are going to have broken boxes.

--
Cheers,
Alistair.

Final year Computer Science undergraduate.