Re: query related to serial console

--- Randy Dunlap <[email protected]> wrote:

> On Thu, 18 Jan 2007 04:10:17 +0000 (GMT) Seetharam
> Dharmosoth wrote:
>
> (please don't top-post)
>

> > Generally sysrq will work with serial console
> right?
> >
> > suppose system is connected through serial port to
> the
> > other system, (ie serial console), at this time we
> can
> > fire some set of commands through the serial
> console.
> >
> > the sequesnce is as follows
> > do ctrl+]
> > send brk
> > then some commands
> >
> > What is my question is con't we pass commands
> directly
> >
> > to the console (without send brk signal) ?
> >
> > This is a feature in Solris..
> >
> > I am looking in Linux but, uable to find it.
> >
> > can you please help me
> >
> > Thanks
> > Seetharam
>
> Hi,
> It's quite possible that I misunderstand your
> question,
> but anyway:
>
> Alt-Sysrq-<key> is a route into the kernel sysrq
> handler instead
> of a route into the shell that the serial console is
> connected to,
> so something needs to signal that condition (like a
> BREAK).
>
> Or a specialized (serial) console app could know
> other ways of
> recognizing sysrq keys.  Or you could use
> /proc/sysrq-trigger:
> 	echo b > /proc/sysrq-trigger

Hi Randy,

It's ok.
Thanks for reply.

I have one doubt in this regard.
1) once we connected to the serial console we don't
   want to login into the shell.
   (without login into the shell we want to fire the
   sysrq command like b, r m, etc.)

 for this I am doing like
  grabing the serial console then
  doing ctrl+]
  so that getting
              telnet>
now i want to give command like b, m ,r etc.

but it is not accepting my commands until I do
telnet> send brk

can you please explain me why like this behavior ?

Thanks
Seetharam