Re: query related to serial console

On Thu, 18 Jan 2007 04:10:17 +0000 (GMT) Seetharam Dharmosoth wrote:

(please don't top-post)

> Generally sysrq will work with serial console right?
>
> suppose system is connected through serial port to the
> other system, (ie serial console), at this time we can
> fire some set of commands through the serial console.
>
> the sequesnce is as follows
> do ctrl+]
> send brk
> then some commands
>
> What is my question is con't we pass commands directly
>
> to the console (without send brk signal) ?
>
> This is a feature in Solris..
>
> I am looking in Linux but, uable to find it.
>
> can you please help me
>
> Thanks
> Seetharam

Hi,
It's quite possible that I misunderstand your question,
but anyway:

Alt-Sysrq-<key> is a route into the kernel sysrq handler instead
of a route into the shell that the serial console is connected to,
so something needs to signal that condition (like a BREAK).

Or a specialized (serial) console app could know other ways of
recognizing sysrq keys.  Or you could use /proc/sysrq-trigger:
	echo b > /proc/sysrq-trigger

> --- Erik Mouw <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> > On Wed, Jan 17, 2007 at 11:26:54AM +0000, Seetharam
> > Dharmosoth wrote:
> > > Is Linux having 'non-break interface for serial
> > > console' ?
> >
> > No idea. Could you explain what a 'non-break
> > interface for serial
> > console' is?

---
~Randy