Re: [Patch][RFC] Disabling per-tgid stats on task exit in taskstats

Andrew Morton wrote:

Shailabh Nagar <[email protected]> wrote:
+/*
+ * Per-task exit data sent from the kernel to user space
+ * is tagged by an id based on grouping of cpus.
+ *
+ * If userspace specifies a non-zero P as the nl_pid field of
+ * the sockaddr_nl structure while binding to a netlink socket,
+ * it will receive exit data from threads that exited on cpus in the range
+ *
+ *    [(P-1)*Y, P*Y-1]
+ *
+ *  where Y = TASKSTATS_CPUS_PER_SET
+ *  i.e. if TASKSTATS_CPUS_PER_SET is 16,
+ *  to listen to data from cpus 0..15, specify P=1
+ *  for cpus 16..32, specify P=2 etc.
+ *
+ *  To listen to data from all cpus, userspace should use P=0
+ */
+
+#define TASKSTATS_CPUS_PER_SET	16

The constant is unpleasant.
I was planning to make it configurable. But that would still not be as flexible as below...

If we're going to abuse nl_pid then how about we design things so that
nl_pid is treated as two 16-bit words - one word is the start CPU and the
other word is the end cpu?

Or, if a 65536-CPU limit is too scary, make the bottom 8 bits of nl_pid be
the number of CPUS (ie: TASKSTATS_CPUS_PER_SET) and the top 24 bits is the
starting CPU.
<avoids mentioning nl_pad>

It'd be better to use a cpumask, of course..
All these options mean each listener gets to pick a "custom" range of cpus to listen on, rather than choose one of pre-defined ranges (even if the pre-defined ranges can change by a configurable TASKSTATS_CPUS_PER_SET). Which means the kernel side has to figure out which of the listeners cpu range includes the currently exiting task's cpu. To do this, we'll need a callback from the binding of the netlink socket (so taskstats can maintain
the cpu -> nl_pid mappings at any exit).
The current genetlink interface doesn't have that kind of flexibility (though it can be added
I'm sure).

Seems a bit involved if the primary aim is to restrict the number of cpus that one listener
wants to listen, rather than be able to pick which ones.

A configurable range won't suffice ?

--Shailabh