Re: ORMAP

John Richard Moser wrote:

Nick Piggin wrote:

2.6 has an object based rmap system working nicely for quite
a while now (though it was probably not exactly what you saw
in the -wli tree, but a derivative).

It would be surprising if that made your system boot 3 times
faster though (unless it was on the edge of a swap storm or
something)

Dramatization.  It was probably around 30 seconds faster on a 2-3 minute
boot sequence (I had a lot in rc.d), but it was noticeable :P

I was wondering about that stuff.  There used to be a few cute things
out there but I can't remember any of it now.  Page clustering etc etc.

Well I don't think any of that stuff was simply forgotten. Page clustering for i386, for example became less important because of objrmap, reductions in size
of struct page, and the demise of insane highmem machines (due to x86-64).

Nick