Re: Logging system usage -

On 30/03/11 13:39, Bruno Wolff III wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 30, 2011 at 12:31:31 -0400,
>    Bob Goodwin<bobgoodwin@xxxxxxxxxxxx>  wrote:
>>          DD-WRT in the router logs some usage but not enough to be of
>>          much use and their mailing list/forum is nearly useless for
>>          problem solving.
> Openwrt may be a better option. There is a package management system and it
> is relatively easy to do custom builds if you want something outside of
> the available packages or built differently.
>
>>          So I am looking for a scheme for tracking usage by mac or device
>>          address. I check usage daily but when I see a jump upward I need
>>          to know what caused it, I always begin to think through what I
>>          have done before panicking the whole family.  Any suggestion
>>          appreciated.
> If you run the router as an actual router rather than a bridge you should
> be able to get a pretty good handle on this using traffic shapping. The
> Linux Advanced Routing and Traffic Control documentation is a bit dated,
> but should give you some ideas of what is possible and how to implement
> policy. The doucmentation is at lartc.org.

        Bruno and Lamar ~

        You have overwhelmed me with information. This is a complex topic!

        I need a bit more help to get my thought processes working. I
        have a "modem" and a router [Linksys E3000 w/dd-wrt] between
        which I could install a an old Linksys 10/100 ethernet hub and
        run a line [~50 ft] to this computer to process the data.

        I was hoping to find an application that would process that data
        into something I could interpret. I tried that a couple of years
        ago but was unable to get anything I could deal with ...

        Netflow says their application is not intended for home use?
        It's not clear to me if that has to be installed in a
        computer/router or if it's something I can install here in this
        computer or if it might already be installed in some routers out
        of the box?

        It would be nice if someone could say try this approach. If
        there is an advantage to using openwrt instead for collecting
        this data I have another router I can probably install it on, a
        Netgear WNDR3300/dd-wrt. I can follow instructions but I can't
        write an application.

        Bob