Re: Problems after upgrading to F14

On 03/29/2011 04:29 PM, JB wrote:
> JD<jd1008<at>  gmail.com>  writes:

>> I did that. I did update a lot of fc13 packages to fc14.
>> But it still chocked on the dependencies that had other
>> packages depending on the very dependencies it tries
>> to update.
>> Yum simply does not seem to be able to handle this chain
>> of dependencies scenario.
>> I consider it broken!
>>
> I would execute this:
> # yum distro-sync
>
> and post the full output (dependencies conflict, etc) to the list.
>
> It would be interesting to see what yum can not handle.
> Perhaps there is something unusual we will be able to identify (before you
> decide what to do next: file a Bugzilla report, etc).
>
> Also, I would double check the plugins with regard to packages update
> protections and their configurations.
> Or any exclusions, etc in your main yum config file.
>
> JB

That's what I meant when I said 'I did that'
Sorry that I did not save the output.

It does take a long time and produces a list of what is
"set to be installed" - but  because it encounters
errors with some packages and their dependencies,
it does not install any of them.

What I have been doing is that   for every dependency that
causes conflicts, I uninstall the conflicting dependency and all packages
that depend on it, and then I "yum install" them and that
fixes the problem with that dependency.
So, next time I do yum update, the problem with that
specific dependency is gone and the new dependencies
are installed. And on with the next conflict ...etc.
So, it has been a rather slow and painful process to do
things that yum should be doing for me.