Re: Getting command line to do 'modprobe' on Fedora install

On 29 March 2011 21:51, Alan Cox <alan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Tue, 29 Mar 2011 18:24:33 +0100
Aaron Gray <aaronngray.lists@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I need to get to the command line to do a 'modprobe DAC960' on installing
> Fedora.
>
> Is this possible ?

It should automatically load the module providing it is on the image. It
could be the autoload is failing for some reason or the driver is broken,
or its not on the boot image.

Unfortunately the one person who really knew it and looked after it
(Leonard Zubkoff) died in an accident some years ago. It no longer really
gets much attention as it's little used and IBM who bought Mylex who
produced it have long dropped it too.

In fact I think you are the first reference I've seen to it in use for a
couple of years !

Probably the best strategy is to investigate using a live image and see
what "dmesg" shows and what occurs if you try and load it. That may give
the info needed for someone to get it going.

Thanks Alan,

So possible the driver code got broken in newer kernels. I know FC4 used to use Kudzu and moving to FC5 the detection of the 960's no longer worked in Anaconda.

How does driver detection work now, is it the same for all Linux distros now ?

Like you said I'll try a live distro and dmsg anyway, and see if that reveals any more info.

Its more than a couple of years since I removed the RAID cards, the poor old Primergy 470's servers are not as fast as with the DAC960's.
I would really like to get the DAC960 working again.

Aaron