Re: wifi troubleshooting

On Mon, Mar 28, 2011 at 11:26 AM, Adam Tong <helpcomm@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Hi,

> This means you have not configured your network.
> But how could you when the kernl has not detected
> your wifi card?
>
> As I had indicated before, kernel 2.6.35 is the first
> kernel
> that started  supporting the Ralink rt28xxx chipset.
>
> What kernel version are you running? Have you done yum

# uname -a
Linux localhost 2.6.35.11-83.fc14.i686.PAE #1 SMP Mon Feb 7 06:57:55 UTC 2011 i686 i686 i386 GNU/Linux

This version of Linux DOES indeed support rt2xxx chipsets, so I am at a loss
as to why it is not detecting your USB wifi device which has this chipset.

iwconfig should have shown that the device wlan0 along with statistics (such as Not Associated)....etc.

It could be that the device was either not plugged in when you booted
or the device is broken (or worse, your USB port is broken).

> update since you
> installed F14?

Should I?

Yes indeed you should. That's how you will get all the
bug fixes. So, if you can connect via an Ethernet cable
to your router,  then by all means, you should
su root
  and
yum -y update

asap.