Display "Out of Range"

I've 'inherited' a dozen MSI systems, Intel dual core, 4G RAM
All systems were ordered to be 'identical' from system board
level up, including flat panel display, to be used in training
scenarios.

All systems install FC w/o a hitch in the graphical installation
interface. However, when rebooted, 4 of the systems do not have
video, rather display an "Out of Range" message on the flat panel.

On the these offending systems, I can boot-up into single-user mode,
get normal video and can 'snoop around.' I did change initdefault to 3,
yet get the same "Out of Range" error on reboot. Therefore, I can say
with some confidence it is not an X server prob (not started in init 3),
but some config prob between single-user mode and run level 3.

Where do I look?
--
Nix