Re: External HDD auto-mounted as root

On 03/25/2011 10:37 PM, Suvayu Ali wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> I just bought a 1TB WD Passport. It came formatted as NTFS, on plugging
> it in, it auto-mounted as the regular user. But after I formatted it to
> use ext4 (with gparted), it keeps getting auto-mounted as root both on
> F13 and F14. Any ideas what I could do about this?

Are you talking about the ownership of the root directory on the mounted
file system?  That's stored in the directory's inode, just as with any
other directory.  With the file system mounted, use 'chown' (as root) to
change that ownership to anything you want.  Note that it's only the
numeric UID and GID that are stored.  If you're moving that drive among
systems with different UID/GID->name mappings, you'll see different user
names as the owner.

                 Do NOT delete it.