Re: F14 vlc update problem.

> On Thu, 24 Mar 2011 18:48:53 -0400, Kevin wrote:
>
>>>            Updated By: directfb-1.4.11-3.fc14.x86_64 (updates)
>>>                Not found
>>>            Available: directfb-1.4.3-1.fc14.x86_64 (fedora)
>>>                libdirectfb-1.4.so.0()(64bit)
>>>  You could try using --skip-broken to work around the problem
>>
>> Yet another well tested update.  B^)  And a bunch of dependencies with =
>> Requires instead of >= Requires.
>>
>> Seems the new directfb package is now providing libdirectfb-1.4.so.5
>> instead of libdirectfb-1.4.so.0 .....
>>
>> --skip-broken will update everything else, but the problem with directfb
>> remains.
>
> Not really. Unless it breaks something in Fedora's repos. The problem is
> with vlc, because RPM Fusion can only build against the new directfb if it
> appears in Fedora stable Updates repo.

Hey,
	I never said which packages were at fault.  I actually complained about
the = dependencies instead of >= (which should have not then been a
problem).  I didn't bother to check which repos built xine-lib or
mplayer on my system.  Yeup, both were built by ATRPMS.  B^)  (and it
looks like linuxguy123's vlc-extras packages comes from rpmfusion.)

	And I disagree about other repos not being able to build against a
package unless it is in Fedora stable.  That's what Fedora
updates-testing, atrpms-testing, rpmfusion-free-updates-testing, and
rpmfusion-nonfree-updates-testing repos are all about.  Then when fedora
pushes a package to stable, all the other repos have to do is push their
dependent packages to their stable repos as well.  Its called planned
cooperation.  I thought it was already going on.  I never had this
problem getting a new nvidia or fglrx kernel driver from them any time a
new kernel gets released.  How is this different?
(Maybe because the nvidia and fglrx builders were more diligent about
checking updates-testing for upcoming releases?)

> https://admin.fedoraproject.org/updates/directfb-1.4.11-3.fc14,xine-lib-1.1.19-2.fc14.2

Wow.  3 for, 3 against, a total Karma of 1, and they pushed to stable
(looks like because it had stayed in testing for 7 days.  Just because 7
days had lapsed, it doesn't mean the update gets better, does it?)
Doesn't seem very overwhelmingly confident....

It looks like they knew there were still problems with the update, and
didn't care.   OTOH, if they did poke the other maintainers and got no
response, I can't blame them very much.  Ouch.

--
Kevin J. Cummings
kjchome@xxxxxxxxxxx