Re: Libreoffice calculation [OT]

On Mon, 2011-03-21 at 21:43 -0400, Kevin J. Cummings wrote:
> On 03/21/2011 09:26 PM, Mike Chambers wrote:
> > Got a sort of OT question...
> >
> > In libreoffice using spreadsheet, I want to input a number in a cell and
> > have it multiply by 16.
> >
> > I have tried =D3*16 and =sum(D3*16) and both get errors.
> >
> > Anyone have any ideas?  Obviously may contact me offlist and not bug the
> > list if know the answer.
> >
> > thanks ahead of time,
>
> Basic spreadsheet 101:
>
> 	You cannot self-reference a cell in a calculation.  ie, you cannot put
> the expression: =D3*16  into cell D3.
>
> 	If you put that expression in some other cell, then D3 needs to contain
> numeric data so that the multiplication can succeed.  I do it all the
> time in Excel and OpenOffice.  I can't believe it is broken in
> LibreOffice.....

Maybe I should ask it this way....

How do I come up with a calculation by inputting a number into a cell,
and have it automatically multiply by a set number?  Then I can paste it
to other cells or the entire row.  Basically I want it to do the
calculation for me instead of in my head or calculator.  Not a do or die
thing, just something trying to do for fun.

--
Mike Chambers
Madisonville, KY

"The best town on Earth!"