Re: Direction of Fedora desktop manager Gnome, related to complaints in OT morons thread

On Mon, 2011-03-21 at 15:38 -0700, Joe Zeff wrote:
> On 03/21/2011 03:04 PM, Marko Vojinovic wrote:
> > It's just that Joe Zeff apparently has a bad day today. ;-) Or maybe he has
> > something personal against Stan and uses a public list to pass on a couple of
> > personal insults.
>
> Or, maybe, just maybe, I have a personal dislike for that particular
> barbarism, just as Mr. Wolfe once stated, "Contact is not a verb under
> *this* roof."

I find it rather amusing that you choose a fictional character to quote
in support of a barb, rather than the author who truly owns the words.
But to each his own.  Rex Stout might be pleased or offended, depending
on how he identifies with his character.

	In any event the phrase "begs the question" does have common use
according to Wikipedia, as has been quoted here:

 Many English speakers assume "beg the question" means "raise the
question" and use it accordingly: for example, "this year's deficit is
half a trillion dollars, which begs the question: how are we ever going
to balance the budget?" Most commentators deem such usage incorrect.[10]

10. # ^ Follett (1966), 228; Kilpatrick (1997); Martin (2002), 71;
Safire (1998).

www.http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Begging_the_question
retrieved 3/21/2011.

	Language grows by common use.  As English has not become a dead
language but rather thrives in many places in the world it continuously
evolves.

	Language is what one uses to communicate, and at best communications
via spoken or written word is about 70% useful, from my personal
observation.

	Let us not discuss accuracy in spoken or written word, as no real
capability exists to quantify the transfer of accuracy by words,
although evidence to the contrary exists right in this discourse.  We
must abide by common use to be understood, like it or not.  This is one
reason that in centuries past, Latin was chosen to be a "language of
science", unfortunately science seems destined to outstrip the
capability of that long dead language to express the complex concepts
being uncovered almost daily.

	The uselessness of grammar for some forms of communications has led to
development of formal protocols in many areas, such as: police
communications, aircraft terminal communications, inter-ship
communications, international communications and even to the unusual
shorthand that is quickly becoming formalized from twitter users.

	Rebelling against the formality of grammar also produces such
delightful idioms as "That will go over like a lead balloon."

	Of course the various combined dialects such as Spanglish or patois fly
in the face of formal grammar, yet the people using these forms of
speaking and or writing, manage to live their lives and communicate with
others quite well.  And while I am not an erudite scholar, I love to
listen to people and try to understand their thought processes and their
backgrounds from the words they use and the mannerisms they use to
express themselves.

	It is useful to remember that what constitutes good grammar in English
depends on a great deal more than the simple declaration it is English,
because of the number of wonderful countries and cultures using English
as the basis of their discourse.

	It is even more useful to remember that here, many people from around
the world can see what you have written, and while it is not quite
stone, words on the internet tend to hang around for quite a while.

	Good grammar is useful, when you can find it, but communications exist
without it as well.

Regards,