Re: Frequent paging

Hello everyone,

On Mon, 14 Mar 2011 16:07:45 +1030
Tim <ignored_mailbox@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Either the program can expand the whole thing, when it opens, or just
> the portion of it that you're currently viewing.  Expanding the lot
> uses a lot of memory (whether it's RAM or swap), only expanding the
> current bit means you have to wait for the next bit to decode as you
> scroll through.  Which soon gets annoying when trying to find
> something in a big document.

In the last couple of days I have avoided opening large pdfs (in terms
of content) with evince. Also I did other things instead (didn't work
with these pdfs as much) and I still get some swapping (although much
reduced but that maybe because its been less than couple of days since
my last post). My swappiness is 60, I have tried reducing it to 10
before without any improvement.

Are there any utilities that would help me determine which application
is using the swap? Lately the general responsiveness of my desktop has
fallen significantly. I assumed it was all the paging, could there be
other reasons?

I am very anxious as this kind of behaviour is very unexpected on this
system. Everything was very snappy until recently (end of 2010). Thanks
for any thoughts.

--
Suvayu