Re: f12

--- On Wed, 3/9/11, JB <jb.1234abcd@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> madunix <at> gmail.com
> <madunix <at> gmail.com> writes:
>

> > I will try to add more RAM to it. I have done the yum
> check ...  all went OK
> > ... but it didn't change the behaviour.  Thanks for
> your help.
>
> OK.
> Now you can look at your system components.
>
> > Mem:    500128k
> total,   484136k used,    15992k
> free,     2676k buffers
> > Swap:  1015800k total,   292412k
> used,   723388k free,    93068k
> cached
>
> Your RAM seems to be OK (sure, the more you can install the
> better, but Linux
> will try to use it all, so do not misinterpret it if Mem
> used is close to Mem
> total at all times - that is actually a good sign of Mem
> utilization).
>
> [snip]

I have seen this scenerio many times before installing contemporary Linux distros on old machines to donate to charity or give to people who can't afford one.  RAM use my be "OK", that is normal--little "free", but when combined with the high swap usage is indicative of a "problem" or just not enough total RAM to begin with, which I think is the case here.

The OP needs more RAM, if he wants to run Fedora/GNOME on it, or a "lighter" distro or GUI or both.