Re: f12

--- On Mon, 3/7/11, madunix@xxxxxxxxx <madunix@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Recently upgraded from Fedora 9 to Fedora 12 (upgrade
> procedure not
> fresh install) and Xorg appears to behave strange, cpu
> jumps to high
> utilization and Xorg getting 50% or more  and swap
> keep increasing.
> Any suggestions.

Yes.

First, did you upgrade directly to 12 from 9 or incrementally--9->10->11->12?  If the former, that can cause problems, so much so that Fedora doesn't recommend it.  If the latter, you should be okay, but I've NEVER had good luck with upgrading--something ALWAYS gets screwed--and always do a clean install on another partition, dual booting with the previous install as a back up, which is what I did when I went from 9 to 12 on my 64-bit system.  I'm currently running 12 even though it is no longer supported.  Absolutely, no problems. (I only upgrade every 3rd release anyway.)

> [snip]
>
> free
>
>    total
>    used
>    free     shared
>   buffers     cached
> Mem:        500128
>    489072      11056
>         0
>    2724      95668
> -/+ buffers/cache:     390680
>    109448
> Swap:      1015800
>    290360     725440

You need more RAM!  512MB isn't going to cut it.  My 4GB system uses 531MB after booting to the GNOME desktop with only a terminal and file manager running.  And I run a "leaned out" system.  If possible upgrade to 2GB.  I consider that a useful minimum for a contemporary Linux distro, not just Fedora, with KDE or GNOME desktops.  That's what I started with on my 4 year old system: initially, Fedora Core 6 32-bit.  I later installed the 64-bit version dual booted.

To reduce RAM needs, go to System->Administration->Services and turn off all the services you don't need.

Also, try a "lighter" desktop like XFCE or LXDE, which I prefer.  Or just go with a window manager only.  I like Openbox.

Recompile the kernel with only what your system needs to reduce its size, and, therefore, RAM usage.  This RAM saving option isn't for the faint of heart.  RTFM before trying this.

You didn't list the specs on your system.  It would help to know that to give further recommendations.