RE: Going from Broadcom's sources to wireless card to WPA network

  Suresh Govindachar wrote:
  >Todd Zullinger wrote:
  >>>
  >>> I realized I made an error in this command.  It should be
  >>>
  >>> yum groupinstall development-tools development-libs
  >>
  >> As a slight tangent, you can use install with groups, you
  >> just need to prefix them with the @ symbol, e.g.:
  >>
  >>     yum install @development-group @development-libs
  >>
  >> (Or for the lazy bash types: yum install @development-{group,lib} ;)
  >
  > Turns out yum installs the latest version of things it is
  > asked to install -- and this can be an issue when installing
  > kernel-headers and kernel-devel for the purpose of building
  > kernel modules.  Even if yum install of kernel stuff is done
  > on the machine on which the to-be-built kernel module will
  > be deployed, the kernel stuff installed by yum might not
  > match (might be newer than) the kernel of the calling
  > machine!

  Thanks for the tip for "lazy bash types" --

    yum --installroot=`pwd`/foo -y -v install kernel-{headers,devel}-`uname -r`

  (I used the above but wrote out the `pwd` value explicitly;
   I suppose -y -v can be replaced by -yv;  echoing the command
   before executing it helps to ensure correctness.)