Re: FC15 and GNOME3

On Mon, Feb 28, 2011 at 9:51 PM, Rahul Sundaram <metherid@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On 02/28/2011 11:34 PM, James McKenzie wrote:
>>
>> Agreed.  If I want lid close, suspend, let me select it.  If I don't,
>> let me select it.
>
> It is configurable via dconf.

Which is where one of the reasons given for not providing a GUI way of
changing lid-close behavior breaks down;

>From http://afaikblog.wordpress.com/2011/02/03/on-laptop-lids-and-power-settings/

"First, it increases integration between software and hardware. GNOME
becomes identified with the behaviour of the device in question, not
just the software that runs on it. It’s about designing the behaviour
of the whole product."

So, when using someone else's laptop, you'll never know whether the
she/he has used dconf to change that setting or not. So GNOME 3's
behavior won't necessarily be consistent.

Of course, if the dconf option hadn't been made available, the
discussions would've been even more "robust." But the justification
for this change is dishonest and feels very much like the choice was
made on the basis of "this is what we want to impose on our users" or
"we want GNOME 3 to behave like OS X" (I'm typing the latter on an OS
X-powered MacBook Pro and as an owner of an iPhone and an iPad so I'm
not a Mac-hater) but the developers wanted to try not to *seem*
arrogant or exhibit OS X envy... :(