Re: Yum's database and configure, ..., make install

On 02/25/2011 11:05 PM, Suresh Govindachar wrote:

> Hello,
>
>   On Fedora-14:
>
>   1) if I install things by "configure; make ; make test; make
>      install", will yum automatically know how the system has
>      changed?  If not, how does up update yum's database to
>      reflect the changes?

Nope.  You would have to get the latest .src.rpm for the package
involved, possibly edit the spec file for it to build from what's in
your tar file, and build RPMs from those sources, and install from those
RPMs for yum to know about it.

>   2) Similar question for perl modules (perl Makefile.PL; make;
>      make test; make install).

Same answer, find the appropriate .src.rpm packages, and rebuild those
with the latest sources, and install the resulting RPMs.

>   3) Similar question for "make uninstall"

Nope.  "make uninstall" will remove various files from the filesystem,
but it probably knows nothing about yum or its database.  That's what
"yum erase" is for.

If you are expecting yum to know about it, find or build and install or
erase the appropriate RPMs.

--
Kevin J. Cummings
kjchome@xxxxxxxxxxx